List:       kde
Subject:    Re: KDE enhanced shell?
From:       Hans Erik Martino Hansen <martino () daimi ! aau ! dk>
Date:       1998-02-17 14:07:46

David Sweet <dsweet@Glue.umd.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 1998, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> I think that it's a great idea.  It'd also be nice to see the underlying
> filesystem send signals to kfm so that open kfm windows and desktop
> icons are automatically updated.   Perhaps a patch could be made to ext2fs
> to send signals using kfmclient.
>
> David

On IRIX such a system exists. It is called FAM. File Alteration
Monitor. It works by kernel notification and by having a server on
each computer, so instead of polling via NFS it contacts the FAM
server on the host. It sounds like a kernel project rather than a KDE
project.

/erik
--
 \|/ ____ \|/  Erik M. Hansen <martino@daimi.aau.dk>