List:       kde
Subject:    KDE performance
From:       Jarno Pelkonen <jjpelkon () cc ! hut ! fi>
Date:       1998-02-11 10:11:46

Hi

Beta 3 seems to function quite well, but the more I use KDE I starting to
think the future of KDE. At the moment KDE startup takes ( after xdm
login ) about 45 seconds and harddisk is working all of the time. I know,
this is not a bug it is a feature. Same thing, try to change kdelink
properties and updating takes 5 seconds. Try same in Windows 95. only 1
second. Or startup, The whole computer boots faster than single KDE.

Even that computer is only intel Pentium 120 and disk is _only_ Seagate
SCSI 5400 rpm (faster disk for Linux&KDE). KDE is beta, but I think the
low performace is due the architecture of KDE.

HD performance as a bottle-nekc ?
---------------------------------

This is an old issue, but I do not anymore believe, that config files are
suitable for storing constantly changing information. Memory bandwidth is
I guess about 100-200 Mbit/s ( I really do not know, but in Sun machines
it is about 500+ Mbit/s, one way ) and hardisk speed is about 5MB/s.

Numbers does not matter, the difference does.

Registry ?

After KDE is in 1.0 version and is getting really stable, I think one of
the most important things to desing is some database-based _registry_.
Some ODBC-driver for general database access or something.

Config files were good to get the project runnig, but underperforming
desktop is not what people want. Every time when I boot to W95 I notice an
immidiate performance increase in _desktop functions_.

But still. Thanks to those people doing a great job for better DE for *IX.
KDE is the best WM at the moment.

-Jarno