List:       kde
Subject:    BUG: wrong calculated scrollbars
From:       Cristian Tibirna <ctibirna () degas ! gch ! ulaval ! ca>
Date:       1997-11-15 20:01:36

Hi,

I've observed the following a long time ago (by now :-) and I waited
to see it fixe (thinking it's a cosmetic bug). I didn't look in the
last snapshot of kdelibs, but in 971112 it was still there. Or is it
maybe a qt thingie?

The (notably) vertical scrollbars are not correctly proportionated at
the first map of a widget. Just fire up a window for a folder
containing enough elements in kfm and you'll see what I mean. The
vertical scrollbar doesn't depict the proportion between visible
elements and hidden elements (which could be scrolled in). The first
problem with this is that (even if we aren't all aware of that), the
eye is accustomed to get in a fast blink the information about the
remainder (not yet displayed of the list). The bug makes this
accustomation catchy. At least me, I get catched all the time :-)

But this isn't all. Because of the same bug, for quite large lists,
clicks on the scrollbar in the space between the cursor and the
arrowed end scrolls much less than a "page" at a time (as it should
do).

This bug is specific ONLY for the very first displaying of a
widget. Once a relevant manipulation done - I didn't experiment to get
a list, but the most evident one is a window resize -, I mean a
manipulation which forces window refresh, the scrollbar becomes
normally proportionated and works correctly.

Hope this helps

					Cristian