List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Comments from a new KDE user
From:       "Russ Steffen" <rsteffen () ia ! net>
Date:       1997-10-26 12:31:24

On 26-Oct-97, Steffen Hansen <stefh@mip.ou.dk> wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Brian Candler wrote:
>
> > 5. kdm
> >
> > I couldn't get this to work. Running kdm as root produced a very nice login
> > window, but entering a userID and password would clear the screen to a grey
> > background with some garbage at the top, clear it fully, and then return
> > back to kdm after a few seconds. The only way to get out was shift-alt-F1 to
> > a text console and kill kdm.
> >
> > I am using XFree86 3.2, although I also tried 3.3.1 and that didn't work
> > either. Video card is an ET4000/W32 which otherwise works fine.
>
> I know a another guy who has a very similar problem. After kdm has
> verified the passwd and tries to log the user in, the X server crashes
> showing weird colors. He uses RH4.2 with the newest XFree on a Matrox
> Mystique card. _AND_ he has the same problem with xdm, so it's not a kdm
> problem! Please try xdm and see if that works.

Well, I had exactly the same problem, with XFree 3.3, under RedHat 4.1,
and a Matrox Mystique.

It turned out to be a login script problem. Since I normally use tcsh
and .xinitrc is a bash script, I wasn't getting $KDEDIR set, or
getting $KDEDIR/bin in my path.

The puzzling thing was that xdm worked fine. but I can't quite
explain why. Unless it was running every thing under a tcsh login shell
somehow, it should have failed the same way.

BTW, the garbage on the screen, which I still get even with a working
kdm, looks like the result of XFree exiting and restarting quickly. The
frame buffer on the video card still has some garbage from the previous
copy, and it gets displayed before Xfree bothers to clear the screen.

Russ