List:       kde
Subject:    KFM/KHTMLW Fun
From:       "Adam D. Moss" <adam () uunet ! pipex ! com>
Date:       1997-10-22 10:57:31

Hello!

ObKudos: Congrats on KDE... it feels coool.  Some loose ends to tie
up, but I guess that's what beta releases are for. :)

Okay, onto a slew bugs and omissions, if you'll indulge me...  I'm
using the Beta1 RPM/Linux-i386 packages (package 1, fixed manually to
2).  If you need further info, please ask.

Sorry there are a lot of issues here, but I hope you'll find them
useful - if I hadn't thought that they were worth bringing up, I
wouldn't have raised them. :)

KFM/KHTMLW:

* KFM thinks that URLs of the form http://host:port/ are malformed.

* When using KFM as a file-browser with Visual Schnauzer turned on,
   the vertical scrollbar thinks that the page of files is shorter
   than it actually is, so you can't see the files at the bottom of
   the list.  Resizing the window even a little fixes that.  This
   would seem to be related to KFM's 'second pass' through the
   directory to collect the thumbnails for the file, which expands the
   listing downwards.  But someone forgot to tell the scrollbar. :)

* Similarly, when viewing a web page with KFM which contains images
   that don't have width= and height= attributes, the page is
   elongated downwards to make room for the images as their size is
   discovered, but the scrollbar doesn't reflect the page's size,
   exactly as above.

* Related to the above, when the page reformats itself to make room
   for an image whose size has only just been discovered, it seems to
   redraw two or three times in quick succession, instead of just
   once.  It's just a cosmetic thing, but it's visually disturbing and
   may be painful for those with slower video cards (or those running
   remotely!)...

* If a GIF is transparent, then the preview-bounding-box which is
   drawn on the web page doesn't get erased when the GIF is actually
   fully loaded.  A screen-refresh gets rid of them, though.

* When going from a web page which defines a bgcolor, atext, etc,
   to a page which doesn't, the latter page inherits the colours of
   the previous page.

* Sometimes I have to single-click a file or URL to open it, sometimes
   I have to double-click.  It seems pretty random.

* When I open my netscape bookmarks.html file (a link on my desktop)
   in KFM, 80% of the time KFM will crash - otherwise it'll work fine.

* Sometimes middle-mousebutton will open a URL in a seperate window
   (good!), sometimes (30% of the time) it will do nothing at all.
   Sometimes middle-mousebutton will open the URL in a seperate
   window, but the URL itself will be garbled nonsense (left-button
   works fine with the same link though).

* KFM doesn't send a client-identifier string to the remote web
   server. Some hosts (such as the IMDB, http://us.imdb.org) refuse to
   serve such clients because it thinks they're a hard-hitting robot.

* The font size for web-browsing seems to be very large in KFM, with
   no obvious place to reconfigure this.  The larger sizes in
   particular seem to be disproportionately very large.  Okay, so the
   point of HTML was that this kind of thing ideally shouldn't matter,
   *but*... ;)  KDEHelp's font sizes (on the 'small' setting) are
   much, much closer to the Netscrape/InternetExploiter sizes,
   probably a better default.

* My home page http://www.ws.pipex.com/home/adam/ manages on my
   machine to quite consistantly crash or upset KFM.

* Something about tables - perhaps nested tables - seems to sometimes
   greatly upset KFM's HTML layout.
   http://www.ws.pipex.com/home/adam/ack/a/aesop.html

* There's some fairly bad HTML on this page which renders in NS but
   not KFM (no thumbnails, broken links).  Sadly, such abuse isn't
   uncommon.
   http://rat.org/pub/furry/windsonn/index.htm

* Layout: The weird navigation tool on http://www.gimp.org/ has some
   vertical gaps that ideally shouldn't be there.

* Layout: KHTMLW doesn't seem to recognise the 'clear' attribute on a
   the most visual problems in KHTMLW's rendering.  Otherwise, of
   course, GREAT work on keeping up with Netscape's latest abuses of
   HTML. ;)

* KFM can happily go to http://www.fox.org/, but never seems to be
   able to fetch the page http://www.fox.org/foxbox/ - weird.

* The 'View Frame Source' option is always available even if the
   document doesn't have frames.

* IMVHO it would be more useful if KFM's FTP-browser defaulted to
   'long' view instead of 'icon' view.  Or have this configurable.

* I LOVE this feature... the ability to drag out a rectangle of a web
   page and 'select' all of the links therein, then 'copy' and 'paste'
   them to a local directory, is KOOL... that yiffs me up!  :P
   However, I do have to explicitly use 'copy' and 'paste' - the
   dragging of multiple selections just doesn't seem to work (that's
   true of the file-browsing too).

* I wish I could create a New Folder (or New Anything) straight to the
   desktop.  It just seems kind of unnecessary to have to create the
   directory in a KFM window then move it out to the desktop.

* Finally (for now :P) it would also be useful to be able to 'paste'
   straight onto a desktop folder, so I can copy files to a desktop
   folder without having to explicitly open up a KFM window for that
   folder.  I know I can already d'n'd onto such folders, but
   multiple-file d'n'd doesn't seem to work.

Sorry for all the points - just trying to help.  ;)  Keep up the GREAT
work!  This is very exciting!

--Adam