List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Re Motif vs kde speed
From:       widi () wohnheim ! uni-ulm ! de (Rainer Bawidamann)
Date:       1997-08-31 21:40:57

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.970830202609.26574G-100000@wanda.mecalc.co.za>,
	ross@mecalc.co.za (Ross Linder) writes:

> Hmm, I don't notice the same. I ported some of our applications to Qt
> from Motif, and the only noticable difference is that they now run on
> win/nt (where they are slower on the same hardware, not a supprise;)).
[...]
> Matrox millenium, 24 bit 1280x1024, PPRO200 with 96 Mb ram. Metrolink
> Motif. Xfree 3.3

*shiver* I wonder if you in fact can see any difference on this machine!

Maybe you should try my configuration:
S3 968, 16bit, 1024x768, 486DX100, 32MB, XFree 3.3

There you can SEE the difference!

> Where Qt gains, is when memory is short, here the missing Xt layer
> and then Motif on top is noticable. I hope the kde libs stay lean
> and focused.

Xt doesn't need to mean slow, maybe on very big apps. The X aplication
starting fastest I have is a Xt program (with its own small wiget set):
knews. A full-featured and nice looking news reader.

(and its scrollbar has more features and is more configurable than that
of Qt ;-)

Bye ... Rainer
--
                Rainer.Bawidamann@wohnheim.uni-ulm.de