List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Two questions
From:       Arnt Gulbrandsen <agulbra () troll ! no>
Date:       1997-08-31 21:49:12

Sirtaj Singh Kang <ssk@physics.unimelb.EDU.AU>
> Why should DnD and 16bit chars slow down Qt? Make it a little bigger,
> perhaps, but I can't see it making any real difference in speed.

Supporting both 8- and 16-bit characters can conceivably make a
difference due to the cost of size conversion.

I know for a fact that dnd makes no difference.

> > subjective comparison and hence weakenes the otherwise good argum
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> That was my point. It is a subjective comparison. I write Qt and Motif
> applications and use both KDE and CDE on an alpha and KDE apps feel
> noticeably "snappier" (quicker response to events).  And this is on a
> 600Mhz system with over 350M memory, where these things should be less
> noticeable.

If an application reacts to input in 0.05 seconds that feels very much
faster than if it reacts in 0.15 seconds, so Qt's faster paint events
is a big win.

Taj, btw: We missed you.

--Arnt