List:       kde
Subject:    Re: GNOME Desktop Project
From:       weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de
Date:       1997-08-19 0:46:02

Hi,

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Alan Cox wrote:

> > about what a window manager is and start recognizing that in order
> > to have a truly powerful desktop you can't simply allow for switching
> > to any old window manager. You will lose important functionally that
>
> Why is that. At the most with a different WM you lose some subtle features,
> X11 allows a large number of hints (including the motif ones) that most people
> honour.
>
> Ok tomorrow I'll look at porting the KConfig stuff cleanly into C and with
> a well documented C api too. Gnome/KDE/openwarfare whatever that'll be helpful
> in letting people make non KDE apps aware of kde preferences and able to use
> the same scheme for them.
>
> I do however think that cloning qt is the easier approach Miguel

Well, Miguel, listen to Alan :-) he is an experienced programmer.

I would volunteer to help you porting. I cant do any more for you
than offer you my help.

With this approach KDE development could go on in the usual
speed ( it will anyway ) and once the free toolkit catched up
we write a C++ layer around your c code, and - voila - we are done.
KDE is completely free.

That is faster then everything else.