List:       kde
Subject:    Re: It's necessary X-Windows for running kde?
From:       "Russ Steffen" <rsteffen () ia ! net>
Date:       1997-06-12 21:17:37

On Jun 11, Martin Konold <konold@fiwi02.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Emiliano Bruni wrote:
>
> > Sorry for this kidding question.
> >
> > I wish to install kde but i don't have X-windows.
> >
> > It's necessary for running kde?
>
> Yes
>

> Yours,
> -- martin

That's not strictly true. I have KDE installed on a machine that
just has the X libraries (and the Qt lib) installed, but no X server
(it doesn't even actually have a keyboard or mouse, or monitor for that matter.)

This arrangement has pointed out an interesting weakness in KDE's
Drag and Drop handling. Imagine having two KFM windows open on your
display, one on the local machine, and one remote on another. Now, drag
a file from one window to the other. Copying files like this seems to work,
but moving a file across machines may cause one or both KFM's to seg fault
and die.

Russ