List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Freeze
From:       Peter Putzer <pputzer () edu ! uni-klu ! ac ! at>
Date:       1997-05-12 21:20:38

On Mon, 12 May 1997 ettrich@peanuts.informatik.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:

> > On Sun, 11 May 1997, Robert David Williams wrote:
>
> [snap]
> >

> > That's crazy, I still can't do some thinigs I can do with tkdesk. Like
> > drop a file onto an editor taskbar and get the file to open IN the editor,
>
> What is an "editor taskbar"?

I guess he means the kedit-icon on kpanel :)
(And yes, the default .kdelnk file doesn't handle drag'n'drop... the %f is
missing from the exec line...)

That is IMHO one of the main problems at the moment: the distribution is
rather messy (of course it is ALPHA, but...;)

for example, make install in kdelibs fails to copy kpixmap.h to the
kde-include dir.. another example would be the aforementioned kedit.kdelnk
I am quite sure I'd find others...

Since I am not a C++ programmer, but would like to contribute in some way,
I'd put together a binary package (_NOT_ necesseraly an rpm.. but I could
do that too ;) that includes some nice configs (and a few extra icons...)

Of course it would always lag behind the current tgz source, but that
shouldn't be a problem for the more "casual" testers (e.g. users) of kde

BTW: I don't think it a good idea for the binary-rpm to set $KDEDIR to
/usr/X11R6... this makes it hard to remove seperately compiled
kde-programs. I at least would much prefer /usr/local/kde...

oh, and finally, let me congratulate you for doing such a great job with
kde... I really love it (although I was an afterstep user before, and
still like the NeXT GUI, I find the consistency and features of kde
preferable to having a nice root-menu)

Peter