List:       kde
Subject:    Re: features, bugs, comments
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1997-02-25 21:21:04

weis@stud.uni-frankfurt.de wrote:
> KEDIT: It is very slow with long texts. Is this a problem of Qt?

I tried to solve this problem while writing my hex editor. The problem
the editors have, is that they load the datas at once into the memory
into a QByteArray (or QString for KEDIT).
I'm afraid this class is not implemented for very big datas. I guess
that they copy the data every time it's size is changing.
So, I thought about a solution on this problem. My first solution is
a kind of paging. I will implement it and I will see, if  it is useable.

But loading and saving very big files spent too much time, so I thought
about multitasking for this. I'm developing under Solaris and Solaris
is able to this, but I didn't found a proper solution for Linux. Have
someone found a library or something like that with manuals and examples
for multithreading under Linux.

Stephan

P.S. Please excuse my terrible English.

--
Stephan Kulow	                     \ | /
Medizinische Uni zu Luebeck           @ @         Anschu(e)tzstr. 5