List:       kde
Subject:    Re: kfm / kpanel idea
From:       "chrome" <chrome () tig ! com ! au>
Date:       1997-12-31 6:09:40

A "Preferences" folder containing all the settings for each program - one
file per program (ala macos). Click - editing it is a -great- idea :)

Some personal gripes and suggestions of my own:

I am running Redhat 4.1 (Kernel 2.0.27 - upgrading to 2.0.33 very soon)
latest QT and Beta2 of KDE. I've been runnin KDE for about 2 days. :)

- If I go to Desktop Properties, and set the background of the root window
of screen 1 and 4 it works fine, 2 and 3 and it quits.

It also quits if I use anything other than the blue background thing.

- If for some reason I decide to close a window in the middle of an ftp
operation, kfm closes and I have to restart x to get kfm working properly
again.

- kfm's browser seems a little picky about tables and frames - sometimes
they work, sometimes they don't ... can someone tell me what level HTML it
supports?

- The colour selection palette crashes if I drag instead of click on the
colour spectrum.

- Being able to change from single click to double click would be nice -
also I don't like the menu that comes up when I drag a file from one
location to another. Right - drag (ala windows95) is more sensible for that
kind of operation.

- If i select more than one icon in kfm, and drag them a little way (ie in
the same window) they all but one disappear. The files are there, the icons
are in limbo ... Maybe all under the one icon perhaps? Rearrange fixes
this.

- the selection method seems strange ... try opening a kfm window with say
20 icons in it ... start selecting at the bottom right and select from the
bottom up ... go slowly and you'll notice something strange ... the labels
highlight, but the icons don't until they are fully covered... weird :)

- would be nice if the selection rectangle was marching ants instead of a
solid rectangle.

- when clicking on a file, a little visual feedback aka MacOS and Win95 is
nice - making the icon highlight when I drag a file onto it, or click it.

- kwm ... a front/back button ala the Amiga would be nice. (Click it and
the active window goes to the back, click it again and it comes to the
front) Could also be nice for the main screen to switch between the virtual
screens ... (look at AmiWM ;)

- The K Icon (ala start button) really is ugly.

- the taskbar looks wierd. Open three windows. Select one on the taskbar,
and it pushes in, move the mouse away, move it back over that pushed in one
and put pops out for no other reason than to look strange. Pushing it
(strangely enough) has no effect :)

- KDE is excellent, I like it a lot and will persevere through all the
bugs. But I'm also a very picky person who has spent a lot of time working
with macs ... please don't be offended by my comments ... KDE is a rather
excellent peice of design, I would like to help rather than hinder.

- There were more, but it's nearly 6am and I need some sleep...

Cheers,
Nathan Ollerenshaw.