List:       kde
Subject:    Re: reposition window partly outside screen (kwin related)
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-05-25 13:06:11

I had a discussion with the main KWin developer a few years ago, about a related \
subject: restoring windows to their exact geometry (size AND position). Communication \
isn't always 100% clear with KDE devs but if I understood him correctly he claimed \
that this was not possible reliably under X11 and thus (would not be) not \
implemented. My X11-fu was already rusty at the time and while I remember(ed) it to \
be a bit tricky I also knew I had managed to get it to work in one of my own \
applications. IIRC, there are X11 geometry functions that just indicate a hint to the \
WM, but there are also ways to set geometry that the WM is supposed to respect. Qt \
also has a geometry save/restore that works (if the WM doesn't interfere).

In short, try with a different, more basic but still standards-compliant window \
manager or two. That won't solve your issue if you are somehow tied to KWin, but it \
does give you reference material if you decide to take this up on a more appropriate \
forum (or even file a bug report).

(For me it ultimately led me to dump KWin and start using XFWM4 with the Mint-X theme \
as my WM, mostly because it's much less memory hungry.)