List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Screen blanking much like a blank very dim screen saver
From:       John <john_82 () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2017-05-25 22:41:55

On Thu, 25 May 2017 16:49:24 +0200
René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday May 25 2017 14:59:26 John wrote:
>
> > I haven't timed how long it takes to do this but I can't see any settings \
> > anywhere to control it. I hadn't noticed  that 5 doesn't seem to include a screen \
> > saver option but it behaves much like one except the screen goes close to black. \
> > It must be scanning otherwise my monitor would go into sleep mode of it's own \
> > accord.
> > Anyone know of a way of preventing this. Not even sure it's down to kde. I tried \
> > xset -dpms and that has no effect.
>
> IIRC Plasma5 never had an option NOT to run a screensaver/locker (or an option to \
> run a screensaver but without password-locking). And if memory serves me well, the \
> consensus (from the 1-man dev team in charge of this sort of thing) is "if you want \
> something else, just use xscreensaver". And that means replacing the executable \
> that does the actual locking (kscreenlocker_greet in KDE's libexec directory) with \
> a script that calls xcreensaver. This is the screen I use for that (also on my KDE4 \
> desktop:)
> ---
> #!/bin/sh
>
> for a in "$@" ;do
> case ${a} in
> --immediateLock)
> exec xscreensaver-command -lock
> ;;
> *)
> exec xscreensaver-command -activate
> ;;
> esac
> done
> exec xscreensaver-command -activate
> ---
>
> In your case you may want to replace the lines with -activate with a bogus command \
> but I'm not 100% certain that will actually work.
> Maybe the fact that you run `xset -dpms` explains why the screen isn't entirely \
> blanked?
> R.

It looks like kscreenlocker is the culprit. A search using part of the name plus * \
found bits in several places. One in ~/.config with rc on the end of it so I renamed \
it and that seems to have cured the problem. I found the executable in lib64. I \
expected it to be started via a desktop file but no signs of one.

The one man committee might like to bear in mind that something like this with no \
control and over ride is likely to annoy a number of people. I had disabled the \
screen lock and that's been fine for a couple of months and then this started \
happening. Being fair earlier on the same code was writing messages to disk stating \
if I didn't click in 10 attosecs my machine would be locked so the disable has been a \
cludge. Seems that went a few weeks ago and now there is another resent cludge that \
just blanks and dims the display with no control over the time even when the lock is \
disabled. I assume it will be sorted at some point.

Pity it's not launched with a desktop file though - easy to stop. :-( On the other \
hand it might have a different name.

No I don't think that xset -dpms did anything at all. In fact looking at X it's hard \
to see how any part of it has anything to do with the monitor. the conf file has gone \
and been replaced with a conf.d directory but nothing in it relating to the screen \
that makes any sense.

My baloo start ups are back in my config now for some reason but it doesn't seem to \
be running - need to check through that again.

John
-