List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Plasma search and one other
From:       John <john_82 () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2017-05-01 12:27:43

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017 14:58:01 +0000
John <john_82@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> I didn't realise that this was running but noticed it with all of the options \
> selected in kdesettings-search so unchecked all. Done I thought except when I \
> looked again after a reboot which meant logging in again and all were active. This \
> seems to be caused by just logging out of the desktop and back in again. Tried it \
> several times and it always happens - deselect all and log back in and they are all \
> active again. I did click apply when I deselected.
> Is there some way of really stopping it from running. It looks to be as mad as the \
> original search - catalogues everything and it seems content. It'll find something \
> or the other more or less what ever is typed in.
> I've also picked up another some how. Parcellite. Maybe due to installing lxde for \
> fun and down to the lack of isolation between desktops. :-( it doesn't even \
> function correctly on kde. It's on the right of taskbar and no option to delete \
> which going on the desktop aspect would might just hide it and not even prevent it \
> from loading anyway.
> I turned off file indexing as well. The setting is retained but now I have to \
> wonder. Going on kde4 I don't trust dolphin searches so use kfind anyway. The \
> current dolphin is crippled and in my view if the greyed out search options were \
> available they don't offer what I need anyway.
> Going on the previous fiasco in this area I'm left wondering what is the cause of \
> this fixation with cataloguing everything. At least I didn't notice a 2gb file \
> index being created this time but have to ask myself if I want it. Going on what \
> could be done in earlier kde I don't
> I've noticed some odd changes in memory usage at times and immediately suspected \
> that it's down to caching. ;-) might be due to something else though.
> KDE 5.26
>
> John
> -
Finally disabled indexing all together. One "plugin" needs to be left on in kde's \
settings. I chose aspell. It then retains the settings. Disabling file indexing is \
easy - just click the enable.

I was left with one problem, one that is totally useless for me. Browser bookmarks \
indexing. It turned out that it was launched in plasma's rc file. Delete the entry \
and it just came back. Fix is to move the associated desktop file to a user directory \
and set enable to false in it.

I intend to bring indexing back up in a less exuberant fashion.

Now there is no indexing at at all kicker doesn't function. Alt space brings it up \
but it's totally dead. Start button search etc is ok. ??? I'd have thought that it \
should still search applications. My app menu is now user local but it behaved the \
same way before I changed that.

John
-