List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Client rejected by automatic spammer detection system
From:       John <john_82 () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2017-04-24 16:32:32

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 10:27:10 +0200
René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday April 24 2017 08:37:35 Günter Zöchbauer wrote:
>
> > My KDE keeps forgetting desktop settings and I'm not even able to ask for
> > support.
> > Could be similar to https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=119769 but
> > it's unclear what the solution was there.
>
> There probably never was a clear solution; I've added some observations on that to \
> the topic.
> My hunch is that settings restore is only well tested in unit-tests, not so much \
> "in the wild"; I wouldn't be amazed if many or even most KDE devs prefer to run a \
> mostly their desktop and apps with default/stock settings and thus rarely encounter \
> settngs restore issues.
> And for certain settings (like exact window positions) it appears there is even a \
> PoV from the main developer that those cannot or shouldn't be restored. That'd be \
> BS of course so I hope this is just me misinterpreting that person's statements.
> R.
Settings as I use them here are retained - even the position of application windows. \
That is a logical thing to do really as there may have been several up when a user \
logs back in again. I only use a plain ordinary set up though, no activities for \
instance but as those are folders by another name there shouldn't be any problems \
really.

The difference is probably down to both disto installed and version. I'm using kde \
plasma 5.86, framework 5.26 and qt 5.6.1. There is still a lot of kde4 around and I'd \
guess as that goes things may take a while to re appear again.

I'm having other problems more related to hardware. They go and updates may bring \
them back but otherwise it's mostly pretty solid.

If you are having problems joining the kde org forum I had the same problem. I \
contacted the administrator and it turned out that I had miss typed my email address.

;-) I asked a question on there though as I thought that devs might read posts and no \
answer. 67 reads so far. Not asking for a change just info.

To correct another post I made - nothing to do with wayland. It seems kde is \
compiling dolphin so that it will not run as root. Sounds like it checks and refuses. \
It's built into some releases. Not sure if this is disto or kde.

John
-