List:       kde
Subject:    Re: Why openSUSE uses KDE by default?
From:       John <john_82 () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2017-04-14 23:18:55

Having  used both gnome and early kde on suse rather than opensuse I can't say either \
are remotely like windows other than a window is a window. I switched from windows to \
linux with kde when it was on 2 point something. I did try gnome and immediately went \
back to kde. Having read gnomes latest aims it wouldn't interest me at all.

KDE did have all of those Kthis and that apps available on version 3. About because \
it was easy to produce them. Version 4 seemed to loose it's way in that respect. I \
have heard 5 is intended to be a sort of VM - if so a return to what it was maybe. \
About time too. I suspect 5 may have happened because 4 had too many blind avenues \
built in. Maybe 6 wont happen so quickly. Most of the changes seem pretty sensible to \
me. Taskbar icons disappearing when used is a right pain if some one wants to open 2 \
of what ever was launched. Dolphin search is currently crippled but I still use kmail \
3 search and the linux level index. Cataloguing everything doesn't really fit in with \
my use of a machine.

OpenSuse factory as far as I know is Gnome. Unbuntu is Gnome. The probable reason for \
both going that way was what happened when kde went to 4. It wasn't too much of a \
problem on OpenSuse really once people realised that the dreaded search and indexing \
needed severely limiting in it's scope. Kmail4 wasn't a problem as KDEPIM3 was still \
available - for opensuse users. In fact I only stopped using it a month ago. \
Initially KDE4 was introduced in a release as few samples ;-) None of them worked but \
it didn't matter as 3 was still there. Factory needed to be solid so they went for \
gnome on that.

Currently I believe gnome has it's search built in so that several of it's standard \
apps need it to run. Sounds familiar? I've killed it all on 5 without any problems. I \
still seem to be able to search bookmarks from the start button menu - it's useless \
too so I need to find out how that is happening.

Opensuse seem to be pretty good at putting out decent releases of new KDE's. They \
seem to do that by making the earlier version disappear over a period of time. If \
people want that to happen more quickly they offer tumbleweed and will probably have \
some stability problems. I've tried a number of other distro's and have always gone \
back. For some one who just wants to mostly run a machine and use it I'm not \
convinced it can be beat really. Most things that need doing can be done from the \
desktop. Bug reports sometime get actions and the main releases are generally pretty \
stable.

John
-