List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] How to learn about all those configuration file values?
From:       adrelanos <adrelanos () riseup ! net>
Date:       2013-04-02 22:10:50

Hi!

There is an Ubuntu Package kde-settings-lowfat. The creator of that
package must have somehow learned how to configure and/or deactivate
certain things to his liking in a clean way, i.e. not "just copy your
whole ~/.kde folder". I plan on activating most changes from
kde-settings-lowfat for my own distribution, but before doing so, I must
understand (not just guess) what these settings actually do. So I am
asking form a distro packager perspective, must use the text
configuration files and can not just copy the whole ~/.kde folder.

At the bottom is a list of settings I can hardly make head of tail of. I
am not asking to tell me what each any any values do, I am just asking
about the best approach to learn all those things.

I can't understand each change in the kde-settings-lowfat package by
putting them into a search engine one by one. For example when searching
for "Module-dnssdwatcher", I find some bug discussions and can vaguely
guess what it's about, but there is no real technical reference what
this module does. Also searching for "site:kde.org dnssdwatcher" only
brings unrelated bug reports and forum posts.

My approach with search engines, reading random vaguely related bug and
other discussions on random pages is really ineffective and
non-authoritative.

I also tried entering the search term "kwrited" into quickgit.kde.org,
but to no avail. Also seaching for "site:quickgit.kde.org kwrited",
didn't help. I assumed to phrase a configuration file which contains
"[Module-kwrited]" you must somewhere use the word "kwrited" in the
sources and at least by reading the source I should get an idea what it
does, but I also don't find references for it in "kwrited", so I am
really lost on how to find reliable information.

Please tell me how I can find best information about these settings.

Cheers,
adrelanos

/kde/share/config/kdedrc

[Module-bluedevil]