List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] modifying the task bar
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2012-02-14 18:16:07

Lars Dɪᴇᴄᴋᴏᴡ 迪拉斯 posted on Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:33:10 +0100
as excerpted:

> This is a screenshot of my task bar: <http://i.imgur.com/H9s3n.png>
>
> How do I get the coloured icons for klipper, kwallet, kmix etc. back?

As Seven suggests (in an upside down reply before quote or I'd have
replied there) but doesn't outright say, those icons are kde system
services icons and the distinctive mono-color theme helps distinguish
them as such.  Full apps have their own icons and thus use whatever they
always have, but the kde system services now use transparent/monochrome
icons by default, thus distinguishing them /as/ kde system services.

He says try changing the theme, but I /think/ they're plasma text-color
"drawn" on the semi-transparent (depending on plasma/desktop theme)
background, so while changing the theme can change the color of the lines
and the transparency and color of the background, I don't believe it's
possible to go back to full-color even with a theme change, because
they're basically text color on background and are treated as such.

(I say I /think/, because while I was skeptical of the idea when I first
read about it on the kde blogs, I ended up liking the distinctiveness
once I actually tried it, so haven't experimented too much with it,
except as they've changed based on plasma/desktop theme color.)

Of course switching to a different DE (gnome, enlightenment, whatever)
will get rid of them... but get rid of kde as well.

> How do I get rid of the crud under the clock/calendar area?

That's an interesting question.  Again as Steven says, it does look like
either transparency/texture corruption, or like something's underneath
it.  He suggested moving the panel to see what's underneath, which will
help if that's what it is, but it looks to me like it might be texture
corruption and thus, possibly, an artifact of your video drivers.

Does it go away if you turn off desktop effects?  That should kill
graphics artifacts, but it'll also kill transparency so would hide what's
underneath, so you'd still have to do the move to see which one it is.

> This is KDE 4.7.4 on OpenSUSE 12.1.

Thanks.  A lot of folks forget that info.  FWIW, I think it was kde 4.4
or 4.5 that added the monochrome icons.