List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] Re: KDE4 global hotkeys working no more
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2011-01-18 22:04:52

Lapo Luchini posted on Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:06:19 +0100 as excerpted:

> (as previously written on: http://superuser.com/questions/232284/ )
>
> Since I installed to KDE 4.4.x I lost any "global accelerator" facility,
> including Alt-Tab, Alt-F1 and Ctrl-F1-F4 which of course renders the
> whole experience a lot... slower.
>
> Upgrading later to KDE 4.5.5 didn't help either.
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 8.1/amd64 (KDEinstalled via FreeBSD Ports) and, as
> far as I can see, kglobalaccel is running:
>
> % qdbus org.kde.kglobalaccel /component/kwin \
>     org.kde.kglobalaccel.Component.isActive
> true

You can also check to see if there's a kglobalaccel app running.  Assuming
your ps is similar to mine (Gentoo/Linux here, using the procps package
from procps.sourceforge.net):

$ ps -C kglobalaccel

... with an output similar to:

 PID TTY          TIME CMD
2195 ?        00:00:00 kglobalaccel

> Nothing that I found on Google and RTFM-ing did help.
> Any idea what else I could check to debug the issue?

Note that in addition to kglobalaccel, there's also khotkeys, which at
least as a Gentoo package, consists of libraries and config, no executable.

I don't know if freebsd uses split or monolithic kde packages but here on
Gentoo, it's split packages, and I have both kglobalaccel and khotkeys
installed as part of larger meta-packages.  Directly, kglobalaccel is part
of the kdebase-runtime meta-package while khotkeys is part of kdebase-
workspace, which I have installed as package sets.  kdebase-runtime/
workspace in turn are part of the upstream-kde kdebase monolithic tarball.

If you believe it will help, I can list the dependencies and files of both
khotkeys and kglobalaccel, as Gentoo tracks them.  It could be that you
have the binaries/libs installed, but part of either your normal user or
the default system config is screwed up.

Talking about which... have you tried creating a fresh user, without an
existing kde config (or from the command line without kde running, simply
move the test user's kde config, usually ~/.kde or the like, out of the
way, so a new, blank one is created for testing, when you start kde)?
Perhaps the system config is fine and it's a screwed user config, in which
case a new user with only the system config should work fine.  You can
then focus on only the user config or only the system, depending on the
results of that.