List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE 4.4.x trash bin location/behaviour
From:       Duncan <1i5t5.duncan () cox ! net>
Date:       2010-09-05 23:03:20

Nebojsa Trpkovic posted on Sun, 05 Sep 2010 19:41:45 +0200 as excerpted:

> Is it possible to set KDE to make and use trash bin on each filesystem
> separately, avoiding copying between partitions, disks and network
> storage?

I was hoping that the trash location could at least be set from the paths
kcontrol applet (so you could at least move it where you wanted it, even
if not allowing one per filesystem), but it doesn't have that path listed,
unfortunately.  (Why is it called system-settings when it's a user-specfic
and kde-specific setting, NOT a system-setting?  The kde3 kcontrol name
was FAR more accurate, and FAR more googlable as well!  At least its
applets are still accurately called kcms, kcontrol applets, using the .kcm
extension.)

Three suggestions:

1)  I'm an old-time computer user, who likes delete to actually free up
disk space, since I learned how to only delete what I wanted to actually
delete, and when something was deleted, the system actually unallocated
the space, years before there even /was/ such a thing as a trash bin.

So what I did is change the shortcuts in the apps I use, so in most of
them, move-to-trash doesn't even /have/ a shortcut, while real delete is
simply delete.   The are you sure... prompt is enough protection, in case
I hit the key by accident.  Command-line rm doesn't even have that, by
default, tho there's an option for it, and unlike a single delete key,
it's not likely someone's going to do it accidentally.  In apps such as
gwenview that aren't primarily file managers, but photo-viewers or the
like, that happen to have delete functionality as well, I make it shift-
delete.

Meanwhile, I keep the are you sure prompt on trash as well, in case the
default settings return, since invariably, I do NOT want to MOVE it, or
I'd be SAYING move it.  If I hit delete, I want to DELETE it, not MOVE it!

That is a per-app setting, no common kde setting for it, so if you don't
like the system deciding you want to move the file when you told it to
delete the file, set the keyboard shortcut per-app, accordingly.

2) If you like the system overriding your delete with a move instead, and
just want it to use someplace else for where it moves stuff to, try moving
the trash dir somewhere appropriate, and sticking a symlink to it, in the
original location.  Note that I don't like the system overriding my delete
command, so I changed the shortcuts to bypass that and thus haven't
actually tested this on the trash dir, but I've found this works for
/most/, but not all such wrong-dir-location things.  Of course that won't
let you do it per fs, but at least it should let you put it where you want.

3) If #2 doesn't work, one thing that almost certainly will (assuming you
have sysadmin privs to configure it so), is using mount --bind to mount
the desired directory over-top the other one.  That way the kernel takes
care of mapping, and the app doing the file-move (it's not a delete; call
it what it is, a move) simply does it.