List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] Hardware handling broken after system crash
From:       Tassilo Horn <tassilo () member ! fsf ! org>
Date:       2010-04-12 15:55:29

Hi all,

lately my system crashed, and since that time, the hardware handling
stuff in KDE seems to be broken.  For example, when I plug in some USB
mass storage device, I get no popup anymore.  The power management
applet says, that no battery is present.  K3B says I have no optical
drives.  And so on, and so on...

But when I use command line tools, everything just works.  dmesg reports
when some mass storage device is plugged, and I can mount it using
pmount.  My home-brewn script parsing the /sys file system reports the
correct state and capacity of my battery.  Burning CDs using cdrecord
also works...

So it seems, I have corrupted some hardware handling stuff which KDE
uses.  I already reinstalled HAL, dbus, and solid, but that didn't help.

Any idea how I can find out what's broken?

Bye,
Tassilo