List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] 100 Paperkuts
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-20 3:07:16

Many of you may have heard about Canonical's new 100 papercuts project
[1,2,3]. The goal is to fix 100 minor usability bugs for the Karmic release.
Although the primary focus is Ubuntu, Kubuntu can benefit from this program as
well.

A papercut is easy to fix, will improve the user experience for a lot of users,
and is present in Kubuntu Jaunty 9.10. For example, a papercut could be
improving a bad label or icon, fixing a HIG violation, or rearranging a
configuration dialog to make more sense, A papercut is not a new feature
request or change requiring more than a few likes of code.

Papercuts are like fleas on a dog. A single flea is no big deal, but many fleas
are quite annoying. The more papercuts we fix, the greater the effect on the
overall Kubuntu experience.

We need users to find and report minor usability bugs to Launchpad and assign
them to the hundredpapercuts project. Attention Non-Kubuntu Users: Keep in
mind that Kubuntu papercuts are often also KDE papercuts. Even if you do not
use Kubuntu, voting on Kubuntu papercuts in Launchpad can benefit all KDE
users. Much of Kubuntu's development work is contributed upstream to KDE.
Papercuts we fix for Karmic could potentially show up in KDE 4.4! Just log into
Launchpad and import a KDE bug and assign it to the hundredpapercuts project.

Time is running out to submit papercuts. So this weekend, I encourage everyone
to take a few minutes this weekend to think of one usability papercut that has
been bothering you and report it. When you find or submit a bug, click on "Also
affects project", specify hundredpapercuts as the project, and click Continue.

Cheers!

~ Celeste

[1] http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/06/canonical-to-boost-ubuntu-
usability-by-tackling-papercuts.ars