List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] Redland vs. KDE-4.4 (aka TRUNK)
From:       James Tyrer <jrtyrer () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2010-01-12 18:21:37

Might I first say how much fun it is to try to figure out what versions
of various libraries to install by trial and error.  It is really great
fun, and I'm not finished yet.

After some Googling, it appeared that reading the CMakeLists.txt files
in KDESupport was a good idea, and discovered (in Soprano) that
Redland-1.0.5 is required.

I hope that I can still express -- am still allowed to express -- my
opinion which is that this is totally unacceptable.  There is no error
message indicating which version is required anywhere -- nothing in the
lists that scroll by indicating whether or not you have met the
dependency requirements.  There is no sanity check option which prevents
Soprano from compiling if you don't have the correct version.  It
compiles fine.

Then you go on to compile KDELibs and there is no indication of a
problem when you run CMake.  The first real indication that there is a
problem is that the compile of KDELibs fails with an error.

So, I installed Redland-1.0.5 and determined by trial and error that the
newest version of Rasqal that I could build it against was 0.9.15 and
was fortunate that it would compile against Raptor-1.4.20.  I also found
that I couldn't compile one of the versions that I tried against
SQLite-3.6.22 so I still have to check that again.

Now, I should point out that Redland-1.0.5 is circa Fedora-6.  However,
you can't use Raptor from that era because you need 'trig' and that
means the newest version of Raptor is necessary.  This doesn't seem like
a good idea to have an assortment of library vintages -- I expect problems.

I also find it unacceptable for the newest version of KDE-4 (TRUNK) to
require a library this old.  I think that this is a bug and will report
it.

My next experiment will be to compile Redland-1.0.5 with the internal
Raptor and Rasqal and see if that works.  Then I will be able to also
install the latest Rasqal which would also allow the install of the
current release of Redland except that that would cause a possible
conflict..  I don't know if this will work since it depends on how
'trig' is accessed.

It is possible to link Soprano against the specific version of Redland
(1.0.5) and I might suggest that if that version is required that the
build system be set up to link against it.  I don't think that this will
work since the versions of librdf are all 0.0.0.  That isn't good either.

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch