List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] folderview lock icons
From:       Rick Miles <frmrick () aapt ! net ! au>
Date:       2009-09-09 10:29:34

On Wednesday 09 September 2009 19:42:23 Duncan wrote:

> Rick Miles posted on Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:10:09 +1000 as excerpted:
>
> > On kde-4.2.4 I note that when I position all icons so that there is no
> > up/down scroll bar and lock them in place, that after a couple of log
> > ins the icons creep upwards and the scroll bar returns. Is this normal?
>
> You stated the issue well enough, but you neglected to mention the
> location of the icons you're talking about.  Are you talking about a
> folderview plasmoid on the normal desktop view, or the folderview desktop
> view (was that in 4.2 or was it added for 4.3?), or on the panel, or in
> an application other that plasma?
I"m not up on all this new nomenclature nor do I have the time to learn it just to \
use this box.: Right click > Appearance  Settings > Type > select Folderview and you \
get ~/Desktop totally transparent across the whole screen less whatever  space the \
panel is occupying.

and I think bugs notwitstanding the problem is that I put my panel on the top edge \
and the little ole kde gremlins keep on wanting to shove those icons on up to the top \
of the folderview panel. This occured to me since I just upgraded my  daughter's box \
to slack-13.0 and her preference ATM is having the panel at the bottom of the screen. \
Configured that way there isn't a problem.

> Never-the-less, I know there's still bugs in that regard in plasma, up
> thru current 4.3.1.  The one I'm aware of is that while panels can be set
> very small (short on the horizontal ones, narrow on the vertical ones),
> they tend to return toward their defaults, getting a bit bigger each time
> something changes (a login, switching desktop resolutions, anything that
> forces plasma to recalculate sizes).  That one I happened across on
> bugzilla before I noticed it here, but it's certainly frustrating.
>
> According to that bug, plasma fails to account for the size of a bit of
> the trim, or some such, reading it one way and writing it the other, so
> that each time it rereads, the panel grows a bit.
>
> It's reasonably likely that there are other similar sizing and location
> related bugs, one of which it sounds like you have.
>
> FWIW, 4.2.4 was barely getting usable enough for me to switch from kde3
> (and that's after I spent huge amounts of time customizing it and working
> around issues still there, while in the process of switching from kde3),
> but each new version continues to fix vast amounts of bugs still there in
> kde4.  4.3 was definitely a measurable improvement over 4.2.4, with the
> incremental 4.3.1 fixing at least one bug that was very bad for users
> (including me) with older graphics cards that are already struggling with
> graphics in 4.x, so it was a sizable improvement here as well.

I'd been tracking improvements to kde4 and also coming up with workarounds (and \
getting some advice here) as there were several increments of kde4 in slack current \
over the last 6 or so months but  was  hoping by now that it would be  workable \
enough for my daughter when I ipgraded her machine. We shall see. She's had a linux \
desktop for 6 years now and knew her way around kde3 blindfolded having grown up with \
it.
> What I'm saying is that even if you're on a distribution that normally
> doesn't provide updates to "stable" packages within a single distribution
> release, I'd strongly recommend upgrading kde shortly after it comes out
> upstream.  (Wait a week and check the forums if you are a cautious type,
> to see if anyone's howling about something breaking.)  Really, at least
> for now, every kde release is a serious bugfix release, and upgrading is
> likely to be worth it.  At least consider the major 4.x updates (starting
> from 4.x.1 if you're the cautious type), as knowing how much better 4.3
> is relative to 4.2, it pains me to see folks still struggling with 4.2
> issues, some of which I know are fixed in 4.3.  As I said 4.3 does have
> an issue similar to what you're describing, but given the rate of
> improvement and the fact that I don't know otherwise, it really is
> possible the bug you're describing is fixed in 4.3.0 or 4.3.1.

There were allot of slackers hoping the 4.3 would make it into slack before the first \
rc but that was not the case. It will probably show up soon enough in current but It \
takes time to keep upgrading and I've got other things to do. I might just  go back \
to making up my own desktop files and dragging them onto the desktop instead of using \
folderview. It works well enough and I don't need much because I'm a big fan of Alt \
F2 when I don't have konsole open but there's some urls and  other things I like to \
having icons for.

Thanks for the reply

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Written on Boomtime, the 33rd of Bureaucracy, 3175
http://turtlespond.net
http://rickmiles.com.au