List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Video player
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2009-01-08 17:41:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 08 January 2009, John wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2009 16:29:43 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Thursday 2009 January 08 10:09:00 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > >My intention is in filing an Akonadi-related integration feature
> > >request, so I am looking for the flagship KDE video player to file
> > >against.  Are
> > >there any full-featured video players shipped with KDE?
> >
> > To the best of my knowledge: Not currently.
>
> Don't know why I bother really but where ever you post you need to grasp
> the front end bit I mentioned earlier. The other bit that actually does the
> work might be called the back end. As far as I am aware there are only 2
> back ends. Xine and Mplayer. Maybe Kevin could chime in on that point.
> Clearly the facilities available in the back end limit what can be done in
> the front end. The front end may not even make use of all of the facilities
> available in the back end. Mplayer and it's associated code will do all
> sorts of things for instance. This front end back end arrangement applies
> to most kde apps even k3b.

There is at least another one base on GStreamer, developed and maintained by
Trolltech/Qt Software.
It might even become or already be the default one.

I don't have any more information about whether one of them provides more
features than others. If anyone is interested in that kind of information,
they can probably ask on kde-multimedia.

> On flagship apps. KDE is a DESKTOP that runs apps as is Gnome and a number
> of others. As far as I'm aware Kaffeine is the most fully featured KDE
> video app and is likely to remain so. That's where you should post but if
> your changes fall outside of the pure video features that Xine can provide
> maybe you need to post there as well. Me I long for a fast and slow play
> facility.

More precisely, KDE has evolved into a community working on different Free
Culture aspects such as software, content, artwork, etc.
One of the products so to speak is a desktop workspace for Unix/X11 based
systems, others are a suite of applications for a wide range of use cases and
an application development framework for building such applications.

The application suite does not contain any digital video collection management
application yet, though the huge success of Amarok as a digitial audio
collection management application and improvements in the capabilities of
Phonon might encourage a group of developers to use the same application
framework in order to build one.

Whether such an application becomes part of the KDE application suite (such as
Dragon Player) or keeps doing releases on its own (such as Amarok) is up to
the respective developers and their goals (in a fast moving area such as
multimedia, applications which want to provide up to date functionality might
rather have more control over their release cycles)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring