List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Question about KDE 4.2
Date:       2009-01-06 17:56:14

On Tuesday 06 Jan 2009 10:38:51 pm David Carlos Manuelda wrote:
> On Monday 05 January 2009 19:23:39 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> > Rex Dieter wrote:
> > >
> > > I've never seen such operations take more than an instant, regardless
> > > of which DE is in use.
> > >
> > > I would venture there's a different explanation other than the general
> > > "kde4 is slower".
> >
> > This happens if compositing is enabled and a binary-only, proprietary
> > NVidia or ATI driver is used or if EXA acceleration is not enabled (in
> > the case of open source drivers; the proprietary ones don't support EXA.)

> I had compositing disabled, yet using the binary drivers from nvidia so
> maybe is EXA related, but is strange, as I said, this does not happens
> while running 3.5.10. That's why I asked, because with same X config I note
> the impact of performance running the whole kde 4.1.3 over running same
> apps inside 3.5.10.
> Then, I'll try to set up my X using the VESA driver and retry.

As it seems... it does matter. Apparently, KDE4 tends to take full advantage
of some underlying features which were barely used before. This supposedly has
exposed new bugs in the underlying stuff. This likely does not answer your
specific question but was just to give you an idea.
--
Cheers!
Kishore