List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] changing mount options for removable media
From:       "Alexander 'Leo' Bergolth" <leo () strike ! wu-wien ! ac ! at>
Date:       2008-11-27 22:39:08

Hi!

I'd like to change the default mount options for my NTFS-USB-harddisk in
KDE4. However, I couldn't find a way to change them in the GUI and I
didn't manage to correctly set an "option=value" style mount option in
.kde/share/config/mediamanagerrc.

The problem is:

ntfs-3g uses the system-locale (the LANG environment variable) or the
mount-option locale=XXX to determine the encoding of filenames.
Unfortunately, the mount-command doesn't get executed in the
user-environment, it is called by hald via hal-storage-mount, where the
LANG environment variable isn't set. So one has to explicitly use the
locale=en_US mount option to switch to latin1 encoding.

HAL doesn't allow to configure mount options via HAL policies anymore,
since HAL developers think that they should be provided by the desktop
session:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2007-January/007128.html

So I think there must be a way to configure per-volume mount options in KDE.

Does anyone know if this is currently implemented?

Cheers,
--leo
--
e-mail   ::: Leo.Bergolth (at) wu-wien.ac.at
fax      ::: +43-1-31336-906050