Problem Resolved. See below. On Thursday 15 May 2008 18:30, Nigel Henry wrote: > I hadn't updated my Debian Lenny install for nearly 2 months, and there > were more than 900 updates waiting (804Mb). Post installing the updates, > everything was working as usual. Post reboot, the mouse went a bit > pearshaped. > > Now I don't know if this a KDE problem, or an X window system one, as there > were a bunch of updates for both. I posted to the Debian User list > yesterday, but no replies, even saying "no problems here". > > The problem: > Debian by default uses one click to launch from desktop icons, but what > happens now, is that a single click highlights the icon (much as you get on > distros that need a double click). If I click on the icon again, 2 > instances of the app open. Likewise if I click, hold, then release the > mouse. > > When clicking a button that used to bring up a drop down menu, now I just > get a quick flash of the menu. If I click, and hold, the dropdown menu > appears, and I can pull the mouse pointer down the menu to a specific item, > release the mouse, and the item selected activates. > > I can single click on "home", or Kget on the panel, and they open on the > desktop without problems. The volume control though when clicking on it, > which should display the slider, just gives a quick flash of the slider. > > Non KDE apps, mhWaveedit, as an example, still open 2 instances of the app, > but the buttons to control the transport still work with one click, but > "file", and "edit", etc, which have a drop down menu, don't work as normal, > and again I have to click, and hold, slide down the menu, and select an > item on the menu. > > I created a new user, logged out, and came back into KDM. I can't access > the menu. The button works, but here I can't get the menu at all. The > default session is Gnome, so for the newly created user I tried the login > button, which worked, but now I'm in Gnome, which I don't use. That said, > single clicks with the mouse work ok in this new users Gnome session, but > again the same problem with the drop down menus, as in KDE. > > A question here: > I'm stuck with Gnome with my newly created user, and wanted to see if the > same mouse problems existed in KDE for the new user. I havn't got Lenny > booted up at the mo, but is there somewhere in kdmrc that I can edit, and > can select the session I want to login to (like changing Gnome to KDE). > > As I say above, I don't know if this a problem caused by KDE updates, or > those for the X window system, but any comments would be very welcome. > > I have had a good look in Kcontrol, but can't see any differences to > anything to do with the mouse, as I see with Kcontrol on other distros > running on the same machine. > > Many thanks for any help with this problem. > > Nigel. > > current KDE version on Debian Lenny 3.5.9-2 Someone, either from the KDE list, or the Debian-User list sent me a private e-mail, and suggested making a change in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and in the section "InputDevice" for the "Generic Mouse". All I had to change was the option line below from true to false. Option "SendCoreEvents" "true" (change true to false) A logout, followed by a login didn't resolve the problem, but a reboot fixed it. Nigel. ___________________________________________________ This message is from the kde mailing list. Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde. Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.