List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Unable to start up KDE due to hanging with a black
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-11-20 11:45:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 November 2007, Phillip Pi wrote:

> > At that stage it tries to start the DCOP server and a couple of other
> > things. Though starting a KDE application from outside KDE also does this
> > and that seems to work.
>
> Yeah, but not startkde. ;) Is that considered an application?

Not in this context. It isn't a KDE application but is starts a lot of them.

> $ startkde
> startkde: Starting up...
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 12634, errno = 95
> ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 12636, errno = 0
> WARNING: DCOP communication problem!
> kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
>
> <<I hit my enter key a few times (was frustrated) in Gnome terminal and
> it threw more messages in Gnnome terminal; I couldn't reproduce this
> through startx though and I don't know if these are valid and useful
> errors to us>>

Hmm.
When you launch a KDE application stand-alone, can you check if dcopserver is
running?

> > Lets hope we can crack it :)
>
> Good morning (from my side)! We better. I am going to cry if I have to
> use another WM!! Gnome is driving me nuts. :(

There is a Debian bug report [1] about this now.

I am going to submit the archive reference of this thread and the one from
kde-linux as additional information.

Would be interesting to know if non-nvidia users are experiencing this as
well, IIRC so far all reporters seem to use NVidia cards (with different
drivers though)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring