List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Unable to start up KDE due to hanging with a black
From:       Phillip Pi <ant () zimage ! com>
Date:       2007-11-19 7:45:43

> > I tried without a /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then tried no NVIDIA driver
> > (just VESA). I still got the hang. So it can't be X11 issue. With no
> > NVIDIA driver, I did the lsof, ps aux, .xsession-errors, and strace
> > again without NVIDIA:
> >
> > http://pastey.net/77574 ... Also, see
> > http://www.kde-forum.org/thread.php?threadid=17919 for other
> > experimentations and logs as well.
>
> Probably a sound system issue. I think ksmserver starts knotify which accesses
> aRts which in turn tries to access the sound device. If this doesn't work it
> might hang.
>
> Can you run KDE applications in a different session type, e.g. GNOME?
> If yes, can you run kcontrol and see if it helps your KDE session if you
> deactivate the sound system?

Yes, I can run KDE applications under Gnome. So I go to Sound System and
noticed it is not enabled. Since it was already disabled, I enabled it
and retried KDE, but it failed as usual (hang). I restarted Gnome and
tried the sound test in kcontrol's sound system. It works fine. I never
had audio problems in the past. I do use ALSA sound system if that
matters.

Any other ideas to try or look for?
--
"One day he sprained an ankle rather than crush an ant." --Les
Miserables
| |o   o| |         Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
   \ _ /                 E-mail: philpi@earthlink.net or ant@zimage.com
    ( )