List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Problem running kcontrol from menu
From:       Ryan Daly <daly () ctcnet ! net>
Date:       2007-11-13 23:49:16

On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 15:27 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ryan Daly wrote:
>
> > I have KDE installed in $prefix=/opt/kde/v3.5.7.  I'm guessing it's
> > here?
> >
> > daly@riddler <5#> ls /opt/kde/v3.5.7/etc/xdg/menus/
> > ./   applications-merged/  kde-information.menu   kde-settings.menu
> > ../  applications.menu     kde-screensavers.menu
> >

> > What is the inclusive XDG env list is that I'd need to set?
>
> Ah, out of my league then (never used prefix other that /usr myself),
> but, I'd venture something like:
> KDEDIRS=/opt/kde/v3.5.7:/usr
> XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/opt/kde/v3.5.7/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg
> may help.
>
> Other similar pointers can be had at:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/developer-faq.html
> see Q2.18

Did some testing.  I found that with setting $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, things
start working "out of the box."  (I did have to wipe out and rebuild my
local ksycoca cache.)  I used the line below:

setenv XDG_CONFIG_DIRS $KDEDIR/etc/xdg:/etc/xdg

When KDE is installed in the normal prefix (/usr), how do those
environment variables get set?  Is it a KDE responsibility or an OS
responsibility?