List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Konsole unable to start xapps as root in Archlinux
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-10-18 18:06:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 18 October 2007, Nigel Henry wrote:
> I have no problem starting xapps in Konsole, while su'ed to root on my
> Fedora, and Debian installs, but am having a problem with Archlinux.
>
> Apparently the default behaviour of Konsole in Archlinux is to deny the
> starting of xapps, but I can't see where this default setting is to be
> found
>
> Kwrite for example will open, if started as user in Konsole, but not when
> su'ed to root. this is the output when trying to open Kwrite as root.
>
> Xlib: connection to ":0 . 0" refused by server
> Xlib: No protocol specified

The X server is rejecting connectings from a user which is not the one
currently running the X server, a security option since any X11 program which
is allowed to connect can see all input.

You can allow such connections explicitly by doing this in a terminal window
currently open on the X server, e.g. in Konsole right before you "su"

% xhost +local:root

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring