List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2006-10-05 1:18:34

On 06/10/04 19:10 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:

> http://scanline.ca/dpi/ was the first insightful read-up on the topic.
> I still don't see why apps don't just rely on the calc'ed values from
> DisplaySize. The text goes about that it is "unreliable" but not in how far
> or why. (We're at "assumptions" again.)

That page makes plenty assumptions, good and bad. "Unreliable" isn't about what \
happens once DisplaySize is properly set, but rather about getting it properly set, \
and keeping it that way for users with multiple displays. I touched on "getting it \
set" upthread. Displays can have good DDC, or bad DDC, or no DDC. Either of the \
latter means getting it properly set depends on good input from the user, and good \
data in the lookup databases often used by the user. Much of that data is unreliable \
                marketing junk rather than technical goodness.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409