List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () ij ! net>
Date:       2006-10-03 17:35:47

On 06/10/03 16:34 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:

> Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2006 20:58 schrieb Felix Miata:

> > Modern distros serve their own versions of X in varied ways. X is made up
> > of several components, any of which can have its own idea what DPI is or is
> > supposed to be. It's a complicated subject. That means no easy answer given
> > limited facts, and likely no easy answer even given copious facts. It
> > should work right out of the box, but often doesn't, sometimes because one
> > person's idea of "works" is different from the distro maker.

> And no, it actually *is* simple: provide screen dimensions in xorg.conf and
> use the resulting values systemwide, I don't see how this is difficult.

Probably should be, but it isn't, even though it does seem simple. DDC is available \
to give X the display size, but many displays either don't have DDC, or have a broken \
DDC implementation. X is made up from a number of components by different groups of \
people having different ideas about how things should work. That means the pieces \
can't be trusted to play nice together. The distro makers generally try to do that, \
but there are a lot of complications, not the least of which is people who don't \
limit themselves to using only one display. Some people use multiple displays at \
once. Others, particularly laptop users, routinely switch among displays. There \
really are too many complications for me to list, not the least of which is different \
ideas by hardware makers about how things should work. But by investigating, you'll \
probably find yourself amazed that it works as well as it does for so many.

> Strange, works on OSX and a certain otherwise looked down upon operating
> system from Redmond.

OSX is designed for a limited and well tested hardware set. M$ has hardware \
manufacturers making dedicated drivers and installation software. Linux users enjoy \
                none of those luxuries.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409