List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] per-user startup script?
From:       Ryo Furue <furue () hawaii ! edu>
Date:       2006-04-27 20:22:03

Thank you all for your help.

| > Why doesn't KDE source my ~/.bash_profile ?  I want
| > to set session-wide environmental variables.  This is
| > a FAQ,
|
| That's why we wrote about it in the KDE FAQ:
| http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/faq/configure.html#id2558687
| :-)

THAT IS GREAT!!  I created a directory ~/.kde/env/ , put a script
named "bash_profile.sh", whose sole content is

   . $HOME/.bash_profile

Then, my .bash_profile is sourced and I get all my env. vars.

This is *the* answer to the FAQ
"Why doesn't KDE source my ~/.bash_profile ?"

Why does this remain obscure?  When I did my research,
all the answers I got from the net was:

  1) Modify the system-wide KDE startup script; or
  2) Put things into ~/.bashrc, instead of ~/.bash_profile; or
  3) Put your stuff in ~/.xsession, at the end of which
     you invoke KDE.

All these are lame hacks, and the solution Philip showed
is *the* solution.

Thanks again,
Ryo