List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Proposal: Shared network-enabled virtual desktop for KDE
From:       Andrew Kar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2005-08-11 13:50:01

On Thursday 11 August 2005 02:00, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:> PROPOSAL>> KDE 4.0 should \
have network-enabled shared virtual desktop that could be> shared with other users on \
the network. The proposal is tentatively called> "Foresight". KDE already has desktop \
sharing that allows any number of people to observe or control a users desktop. As it \
currently uses VNC it would benefit from using the NX transport.  So lets get to the \
main differences in your proposal compared to the head of a group of people saying \
"lets all run a sharing client fullscreen in Desktop4 and I'll share out my computer" \
1) One virtual screen in KDE becomes permanently? a collaborative work area.2) We \
want peer-to-peer (workgroup) functionality rather than host-clients which is how all \
current desktop sharing is implemented so that different users can send or drag an \
app running on their machine onto the common desktop.3) Common cllaboration and \
messaging tools by default on the common desktop. (whiteboard messaging and auto \
document/ file drop-chute (deposits stuff into all recipients in-box type folder) \
etc) The idea certainly has merit even if the name (foresight-Uugh) sucks.The main \
problem is that the transport NX like VNC is not suitable for peer-collaboration. \
They are both intrinsically host-client models. What they do is basically send the \
changing graphics of the screen down to the clients and work in a one way only \
direction. When a client takes control and changes something he is not actually doing \
it on his computer but rather his mouse and keystrokes are being sent to the host \
which is making the changes to ITS screen and then sending the updated screen back to \
him.As you can see that process in a peer to peer environment would be pure chaos. \
Still an icon that sets up scrren4 automatically with tools and requests the \
connection of a list of team members  and automates everything is not a bad idea and \
can be done now with just a script and dcop calls or a small Kommander script. Closer \
to the original concept where team members can drag apps to a common screen cannot be \
done with VNC or NX (although the host only of course can drag apps to the common \
screen) but it could be done probably even faster and  more efficiently simply by \
utilising the Xserver if we are only taling about linux/KDE machines. Remember that X \
allows for a program to run on machine A with its display on machine B and its \
keyboard coming from machine C.  I can see a patch where any app dragged or sent to \
the common virtual screen is hooked and its output sent to all hosts in the workgroup \
list. The same would happen on each team members computer. Each persons machine runs \
its own apps but displays on all workgroup hosts common virtual screen. Just some \
thoughts anyhow.... andrew