List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] konqueror's multicolum column size
From:       yourself <sl4rtyb4rtf4st_2 () yahoo ! gr>
Date:       2005-01-19 22:07:54

On Thursday 20 January 2005 22:11, Andrew Kar (Andrew Kar
<akar3d@yahoo.com.au>) wrote:
> And aren't you a picky pedantic fellow :-)  Multilines not good enuff,
> small font nope, list views nope!  From the sounds of how wide you want it
> u would only get one column anyhow so why dont you use a list view with
> large icon size? It looks the same. Nup! How about using a font like
> arial-narrow?

Heh, yup! that's me! and that's the reason i'm not using gnome w/ metacity :-)
i like being in control and having my wm do what *i* like and not what a
couple of guys think is best for me. And as far as the list is concerned, it
may *look* the same, but it's not. It's scrolling downwards whereas the
multicolumn rightwards. Also, i can view 6 or 7 columns in a moderately-sized
window with multicolumn but only 1 column in listview (hey, its 7 times less
information out of the same desktop space - 4 times if the column size was
*right*!)

> Hmm! I know! use multicolumn but select the LARGEST icons you
> can so it is using the 128pixel icons; This will give you multicolumn with
> 4  inches or so of text but in the icon 128 pixel folder replace the icons
> with 32 bit ones; Now you will have super wide multicolumn with normal size
> icons and you didn't even have to recompile!

Yes, i can follow your point but i don't know about your system, on my system
setting the icons to 128x128 just makes the icons huge and doesn't increase
the text size a bit (what it does is create space for 5 or 6 lines of text).

I haven't replaced any icons for the time being but it seems _really really_
weird not having this capability to set the width (even with some hidden
option in .kde/share/config/konquerorrc or something). It really is the
simplest thing, and the default is way too small (current_size*2 would be
just great!).... :-(

Oh, and by the way, it's kde 3.3.2...

>  The posts are starting to get strange so maybe I'm asleep, time to go to
> bed...Yawn!!!

and a good night to you, too :-)

--
yourself