List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] No root ligins are allowed
From:       Thomas Cuny <tec () highstream ! net>
Date:       2004-10-15 2:51:13

On Thursday 14 October 2004 20:38, Randall D. Hobbs wrote:
> On Thursday 14 October 2004 08:21 pm, Howard Coles Jr wrote:
> > That's a good question that even I would like the answer to.  I have
> > Debian running on two systems, and occasionally if I'm having a problem,
> > I like to login as root and see if root is having an issue.  Now,
> > however, I can't even do that.  I can't for the life of me remember where
> > to turn this ability back on.
>
> If you're using KDM, look for 'kdmrc' (mine shows to be
> under /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, but I do not use KDM, so there might
> likely be another place for it). Either way, edit it, and look for the
> line:
>
> AllowRootLogin=false
>
> Set it to true. Now you should be allowed root access via KDM.
>
> If you use GDM, run 'gdmconfig', then select the "Security" tab. Check the
> box that says "Allow root to log in with GDM". Close it out. Done.
For KDM
goto Kde Control Center/System/Login Manager/Users
in "Show Users" mark show selected
in "Selected List" mark root

KDM is designed to protect the system from idiots.
Anyone who can figure out how to enable root login has
passed the "I am not an idiot" test.

I use GDM. Allow root login is apparently the default for Mandrake.