List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] True multiple desktops possible?
From:       Alexander Steppke <vario () uni ! de>
Date:       2004-04-30 11:16:17

Hi,

I am looking for a possibility in kde 3.2.1 to setup multiple desktops
with different files on each desktop. At the moment I got four virtual
desktops with four different background pictures, but I was unable to
find a way to use four different folders to put files on the four
different desktops.

After searching through the mailing list archive I found that somebody
suggest a similar thing in 2002 but they could not figure out a way to
do this easily within kde.

Basically I am looking for an easy way to do something like this to
create four desktops with different links, files and applications on
each one.

switch ( current_desktop )
{
     case 1: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_1"); break;
     case 2: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_2"); break;
     case 3: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_3"); break;
     case 4: set_desktop_files("~/Desktop_4"); break;
}

It was suggested to create four users and to start four XServers to
create a similar thing but this seems like an overkill to me. Different
background pictures are already possible, so why not different desktop
folders?

Greetings
Alexander Steppke