List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] OS X style dock
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-04-30 6:50:48

Rob H wrote:
> James,
>>From what I gather, you're referring to applications
> like kopete and kmix.

KGet, KAlarm, & KsCD are three others that I am sure work this way.  When
you close them, they do not close but rather are reduced to a System Tray
icon.  So the feature appears to be generally available.  But, IIUC, it is
necessary that the application support this for it to work.

> I'm interested in a more standardised approach such
> that every application can behave in that way.
> It might sound crazy, but OS X does it in an excellent
> way. Think the 'system tray' icons replacing the 'task
> bar' (excusing the use of windows terms)

'Taskbar' is what Kicker calls it.

This appears to be a good idea, but the applications have to implement it.
  I haven't read the code, but I would suspect that there is a standard way
to do it.

--
JRT