List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] konq no longer opening folders
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-04-26 2:48:14

Tim Middleton wrote:
> After compile/upgrade to 3.2.2 (from 3.2.1 -- FreeBSD ports), now in konqueror
> file manager (and with FTP also actually) when i click on a folder (either in
> the contents pane, or the side bar tree) i get the following message:
>
> "There appears to be a configuration error. You have associated Konqueror with
> inode/directory, but it can't handle this file type."
>
> And of course, the folder does not open. Interestingly though, if i right
> click on the folder and "Open in new windows" it does open in the new window
> without a problem... "open in new tab" also gives the error above.
>
> Anyhow, something is messed up somewhere in my config. Any ideas?

You can first delete the file(s):

	$HOME/.kde/share/mimelnk/inode/directory.desktop
	$HOME/.kde/share/applnk/System/kfmclient*.desktop

(if they exist), and restart KDE and see if this fixes it.

In general, it is possible if you have upgraded that you two 'desktop'
files -- one for the old and one for the new menu system.  This normally
won't cause a problem, but it might -- Murphy's Law will always get your.
You can remove the old ones as long as your are certain it that it is a
duplicate and it might fix a problem.

For the global menu you will find one:

	$KDEDIR/share/applications/kde/*.desktop

and a duplicate:

	$KDEDIR/share/applnk/<Category>/*.desktop

where <Category> is one of the Categories listed in the first 'desktop'
file.  E.G.:

	Categories=Qt;KDE;System

and in this case what we want is: "System".

In this case, you might find files:

	$KDEDIR/share/applnk/System/kfmclient*.desktop

which you should remove.

For the local menu your might find one in:

	$HOME/.local/share/applications/kde-*.desktop

and you might find the duplicate:

	$HOME/.kde/share/applnk/<Category>/*.desktop

Note how the user's new file will have the prefix: "kde-" and the old one
will not.

And I already recommended the files to remove above.

--
JRT