List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Problem with KMail
From:       Richard Fish <rjf () fishcode ! org>
Date:       2004-04-13 20:38:28

creafab@free.fr wrote:

>Doesn't matter !!
>INCREDIBLE !!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>WAHOOOOOOOOO !
>I just created a /tmp folder in each unreadable directory, and it worked !
>I learnt something today about Linux, the ll command and KMail, of course !

Ah, but there is still a puzzle for you to investigate: why didn't
Ark/zip recreate the (presumably) empty directories?  Do they even
appear in the zip archive?  Or did it simply not create them on
extraction? Maybe there is some setting to exclude directories named "tmp"?

Once you know the answer to that mystery, you will also know the 'right'
way to backup and restore your mail directories.

BTW, I actually *don't* know the answer to this one.  Almost all
archiving programs (zip, tar, cpio, etc) have command line options to
exclude files that match particular patterns.  But Ark doesn't seem to
make any of those exclusion options available, so the default mode of
operation should be to backup/extract everything.  Thus I am rather
curious to know if the tmp directories are listed in the zip archive or not.

Maybe you've uncovered a bug in Ark, as well as a wish-list item for
KMail (to recreate tmp directories if they don't exist, since excluding
things named tmp is fairly common practice in backup).

-Richard