List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] TrueType Fonts with XFS
From:       David Harel <hareldvd () ergolight-sw ! com>
Date:       2004-04-08 14:04:29

Hi James,

I hope you don't mind my attempt to send you a message directly, I was
wondering why you say that xfs is obsolete and what do you suggest to
use instead of it. I ask this because I tried to set the font path in
XFree86 config file to use the fonts directories directly but then,
everything worked very slowwww.

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> William R. Lorenz wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Hopefully one of the last questions for a while ;), but one that I
>> really
>> need to get answered to make my KDE 3.2.1 (Fedora Core 1) desktop
>> good. :)
>>
>> I have a whole bunch of TrueType fonts installed on my system. I got
>> these in by following instructions outlined at the following location:
>>
>> http://myturl.com/000s6/
>>
>> This is all fine and well, and OpenOffice finds my new fonts great. They
>> also show up in the output of `fslsfonts -server localhost:7100`, which
>> queries my XFS server (with TCP/IP sockets enabled) and returns the
>> goods. However, neither Mozilla Firebird or Konqueror recognize the
>> fonts. With
>> regards to just Konqueror, and when viewing a webpage, I go to Settings,
>> Configure Konqueror, and then Fonts on the left, and none of my fonts
>> are
>> listed in the drop-down menus to the right. Could this be an issue WRT
>> language encoding, or shouldn't all of the fonts naturally appear
>> there?b
>> I've checked every language encoding and every drop-down, to no
>> avail. :)
>>
>> Does KDE / Konqueror handle fonts different and w/o the use of XFS?
>

> XFS is obsolete. If you have a single system (no network) you should
> NOT use it. KDE/Qt uses FontConfig. The global configuration files for
> FontConfig should be in: "/etc/fonts/".
>
> To see if it is finding the directories containing your fonts, run [as
> root]:
>
> fc-cache -v
>
> --
> JRT