List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] Re: Is CUPS Broken under 3.2 -- solved?
From:       Larry Eppley <leppley () email ! uncc ! edu>
Date:       2004-03-17 14:55:20

> Larry Eppley wrote:
> > Is this relevent?
> >
> > When I try to print to pdf from within kde, I get this message:
> >

> > gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
> > -sOutputFile=$out{/home/larry/print.pdf} -sPAPERSIZE=letter -c
> > .setpdfwrite -f '/tmp/kde-larry/kdeprint_Jdrii5UB' : execution failed
> > with message:
> >
> > All help appreciated.
> >
> > --larry eppley

> >> You need CUPS >= 1.0109  {i.e. version 1.1.9 or newer}
> >>
> >> What version are you using?
> >>
> >> If you used the Fedora RPM you should have:
> >>
> >> cups-1.1.19-13.i386.rpm
> >>
> >> Which should be OK.  I have no great ideas except that you can
> >> reconfigure your printer settings.
> >>
> >> Did you install KDE from the RPMs or from source?
> >>
> >> --
> >> JRT
>
> There seems to be a problem with your ghostscript configuration ...
> Make sure you have in the file /usr/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib/Fontmap
>
> something like
>
> %!
> % See Fontmap.GS for the syntax of real Fontmap files.
> (/etc/fonts/Fontmap) .runlibfile
> (Fontmap.GS) .runlibfile
>
> Marian

 Thanks so much.

That file (Fontmap) was empty. Wonder how that happened?
At least now kprinter seems to work.  I'm not totally sure about all of the
font choices, but I can work on that.  Do kde-generated pdf's always look
anti- aliased when viewed through acrobat reader.  They seem to look better
in xpdf, etc.

thanks again,
larry