List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE appearance...
From:       Dan Stone <dan () headzofstate ! com>
Date:       2002-05-26 1:24:41

On Sat, 2002-05-25 at 18:17, Brad wrote:
> Can anyone shed any light on why KDE looks so bad compared to Windoze? The KDE
> fonts are really rough and difficult to read, particularly when they are
> small. I don't know that it is just just the lack of True Type fonts
> (although this is probably a contributing factor) as I have installed a whole
> bunch of Windows TTFs and it has made little difference. Perhaps there is
> more to do after they are installed?
>
> I am trying to get Red Hat 7.3 installed at my work to replace our network of
> aging Win95 PCs, but I just _know_ that as soon as the staff see the terrible
> fonts that they will reject it out of hand.
>
> I am evaluating Galeon, OpenOffice 1.0 and Evolution as that is all most of
> our office will need, but the appearance compared to IE, MS Office and
> Outlook is terrible.
>
> Can anyone offer any information/advice/website that will help me to get them
> a Windows-quality display?
>
> Regards,
> Brad
> Brisbane, Australia

One thing you may want to try (that isn't enabled by default) is font
anti-aliasing;  to turn that on, go to kcontrol->look&feel->fonts, and
check the box labled "Use Anti-Aliasing for fonts".  That will smooth
the jagged edges on fonts.  Other than that, I can't think of anything
that would make it look 'terrible'...what font(s) are you using as the
defaults currently?

~D.A. Stone