List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE crashes then goes back to login window
From:       Iztok Kobal <iztok.kobal () telemach ! net>
Date:       2002-03-30 17:34:03

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>>Kristi A Tenrreiro wrote:
>>
>>Hi, I hope this is ok, to post on this kind of subject.
>>  I have installed KDE 2.2.2 with qt 2.3.1 and XFree86 4.2.0. After
>>entering my username and password it looks like it going to start but
>>then it goes back to the login screen. Anyone knows what is going on ?
>>
>It is possible that you Upgraded to KDE 2.2.2?
>
>If so, (as root) delete everything in: "/tmp" and reboot the system.
>
>If that doesn't do it, remove every: ".DCOP*" file in your $HOME
>directory, and reboot.
>
>--
>JRT
>
>.

I've had the same problem:

Upgraded SuSE6.4/2.2.14/XFree86-3.3.6/KDE1.x to qt-2.3.2/KDE2.2.2.

The KDE2 would not start from KDE2 login and would return to login. KDE2
started well with the KDE1 login.

After upgrading XFree886 to 4.1.0 and QT to 2.3.2 it suddenly behaved
OK. Also (due to the XFree86 upgrade) got whole lot national keayboards
and fonts worked better. So I assumed the mis-behaviour was due to the
outdated XFree86.

Since I did not upgrade glibc from 2.1.3 to 2.2.0 I could not use the
XFree86 4.2.0. I left the QT-2.3.2 even if some guys suggest to
downgrade to 2.3.1 due to the allegedly buggy code - it works good to
me. I just had to turn off the Klipper to gain back the desktop speed.

Iztok