List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] KDE 2.2.2 Konqueror & FTP annoyances
From:       Iztok Kobal <iztok.kobal () telemach ! net>
Date:       2002-03-29 0:02:15

I often use KDE file manager as FTP client. And here is what I have
noticed when migrated from KDE1 to KDE2.2.2:

!!! Notices are related to FileManager mode (read-write) not the
InternetBrowser FTP mode (which is read-only)

1. KFM (KDE1) uses cache to remember contents of already-read
directories while Konqueror (KDE2) is loading them again and again
whenever displaying directory already being displayed in the running FTP
session (wasting time and gaining money for ISP)

2. Konqueror decides in one moment that it would not obey to user
commands any more and is constantly reporting "Can not write to file" or
"Server time out" even if stopping transaction, editing URL again and
trying to continue with the FTP session again. I suspect that it has
something to do with Konqueror's inability to start new session
after/when session time out while KFM (KDE1) knew how deal with it.

If there is something to set-up to get rid of these annoyances, I would
really appreciate to know about ! ;-)

Iztok Kobal
iztok.kobal@telemach.net