List:       kde
Subject:    Re: [kde] XFree86 4.2 & Fonts in legacy apps
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2002-02-24 15:07:06

akar wrote:

<A LOT>

I did not mean that this was a "bug" or a "fault" in KDE.

I meant that the configuration of KDE does affect the fonts in Netscape
4.7x.  Therefore, it *is* a KDE question.

Apparently, when I run Netscape 4.79, it is using Arial for the tool bar
font.  Or, is it just trying to use it.  This is what I have set in
Control Center Arial (TTF).

As you said, the file:

	$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdisplay/app-defaults/Netscape.ad

Is basically just like the: "~/.Xdefaults" & "/etc/X11/Xdefaults" files,
except it includes some KDE related stuff.  There is one line regarding
fonts:

	Netscape*fontList: FONTLIST_8BIT

I assume that you could remove this if you don't want to use the fonts
supplied by KDE.

I had a problem with Netscape 4.7x and Arial and found that the solution
to the interaction between KDisplay and Netscape using the stock
KDisplay "*.ad" file could be fixed by tweaking X.  I did this by adding
to "XftConfig":

	#
	match 	any family == "arial"
	edit 	family += "Arial";
	#

This is the same as used to fix other case related problems in the stock
file.

JRT