List:       kde
Subject:    [kde] simple / dble click
From:       Julien Olivier <julo () altern ! org>
Date:       2001-11-26 12:45:03

Hi

I'm just wondering: why is "open on simple click" the default mouse behaviour
?

I mean, it's not really easy for newbies to re-learn the way to use a mouse.
I see lots of people who double-click on link on the Desktop and get two apps
instead of one.
I know it seems obvious to you that, if there's a hand on a link, you just
have to click once but that's not so obvious for everybody.

More over, it's far easier to select one/multiple files with double-click
enabled. I still don't know how to do it without using my keyboard when using
simple click.

Of course you'll say that 2ble click is windowish while simple click is more
modern, more webish (hmm...). The fact is that double click is more
convenient. I also know you'll say that it's customizable but I think that
the default option is VERY important because in 90% of the cases, people
don't change it.

One more thing, renaming a file by clicking on its name while it's selected
is a very good idea. It should be enabled in KDE too.

Everything upper is just my opinion but I'm sure it's shared by lots of
people.

--
Julien Olivier